ZAP Style: Fall Fashion Staples
I find myself always intrigued by new trends, and even try out a few of them myself (Harem pants, anyone?!) However, there are key pieces I believe that every college girl should own in her closet that are timeless. I’ve tailored to pieces that work well for the autumn weather in Chicago.
- A structured bag – One that is large enough to fit your agenda, iPad, iPhone, wallet, keys, and even an extra pair of flats (you never know…). I’ve been coveting this Kate Spade bag. Clean lines, solid color, and large enough for all of my essentials. // Cedar Street Maise- $298. This one is in “Ballet Slipper,” but they offer a total of nine gorgeous hues.
- Long-Sleeved V-neck Blouses – These shirts are great for work. I prefer to wear mine buttoned all the way up to the top button, tucked into a pair of jeans, with a chunky statement necklace. They are just so versatile; I own at least eight in different colors and patterns! // These from H&M are my favorite, they are comfortable and affordable. This polka dot one is just too fun. Long-sleeved blouse - $17.95 hm.com
- Black, suede pointed-toe pumps. Because honestly, when will these ever go out of fashion? Invest in a pair that’ll last! // I like these by Topshop. Glory Pointed-Toe Suede Pumps - $95.00
- A great pair of sunglasses. Being in the city, it can get really bright and sunny, so it’s always a good idea to protect your eyes while also looking stylish! // These Oliver People’s West sunglasses are definitely on my wish-list. I am a firm believer in the cat-eye shape, and that is certainly a trend here to stay. Oliver People’s West - $265. Forever21 has a similar pair with a price tag of only $5.80!
- If you are like me, you love wearing a heel to give you great height, but sometimes walking throughout Chicago can get tiring in pumps. This is where Chelsea boots come in! These classic boots are definitely a staple. They go with almost everything; from jeans and a tee to a shift dress, while also giving you a teeny bit of height. // H&M does this well with this caramel-toned pair. Leather Chelsea Boots- H&M $99
- A cozy, boyfriend-style flannel – trust me on this one. You will (comfortably) live in your flannel. The super soft, baggy styles are perfect with skinny jeans and beige boots. Definitely great for weekend lounging, or going to class. // This style from Garage Clothing is perfect and priced well at only $36.90
- Black skinny jeans – When I got my first part-time job my sophomore year of high-school, I saved up a few of my paychecks and splurged on a pair of JBrand black skinny jeans. Best. Decision. Ever. These jeans are so comfortable and five years later, they still have their same shape and haven’t lost any color. Perfect. // While I’m not sure exactly the style I bought back then, these are very similar and the quality of JBrand is just amazing. $185 – Jbrandjeans.com
- A chunky statement necklace - While these were once only a trend, I believe that they are here to stay. They just pair adorably, layered over a plain t-shirt for day or a fancy dress for evening events. // Baublebar is known for their gorgeous bling, and this one is on my wish list. $44 from Bauble Bar
- Dresses: 1 Classic LBD, 1 Earthy, 1 Lace. I decided to put all of these into one category, since they are all important dresses I believe women should own. A classic LBD can be worn to anything, from events, to dinner dates, to an interview, etc. An earthy dress is perfect to dress for a weekend or a concert, and a lace dress is delicate and beautiful for a night out. // NastyGal has a large selection of LBD’s. I like the cut of this one. Free People is perfect for both Earthy and Lace Dresses.
- Finally, the last item on my list is a great leather jacket. My favorite leather jacket is a light beige one I found in the sale rack of Nordstrom’s Rack a few years ago. The sleeves are lined with soft fabric on the inside, and the body is leather. So comfy chic. // I also dig a classic, black biker jaket like this one from Zara.
- Emily Doherty, Intern