ZAP Bites: Guacamole Salad
Watching Barefoot Contessa is definitely a ritual to my Sunday routine. Ina’s recipes are fairly simple and always delicious. I’m a huge guacamole fan, but don’t always want to be snacking on chips with it. That’s why I like to make her Guacamole Salad. The avocado and black beans are a great source of protein and are extremely filling. This salad can be served as a main course or a tasty side dish. Sometimes I like to add grilled chicken, steak or shrimp to it. The great thing about this salad is that it can be served year round -Enjoy!
Ingredients (all items can be found at your local Fresh Thyme store - a staff favorite!)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced
- Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables.
- Toss well.
- Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad.
- Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.
Sally Carpenter, Summer 2016 Intern