ZAP Bites: What's Your Favorite Dish?
Of all of the delicious recipes and dishes served on Thanksgiving, people tend to be fairly loyal to their favorites. I’m no different, and as a carb-loving vegetarian, Thanksgiving dinner has my name written all over it. Sure, the turkey may be the Pièce de résistance, but I’m all about the side dishes, from homemade mashed potatoes to my grandma’s Italian stuffing to green bean casserole and my all-time favorite, cheesy broccoli rice casserole. I’m not talking gourmet, farm-to-table here. I’m talking minute rice and Cheese Whiz, and I don’t even feel bad about it. So without further ado, check out the recipe for one of my many Thanksgiving guilty pleasures below.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped broccoli or 1 head fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar Cheese Whiz or 1 cup shredded colby cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked or 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- If using fresh broccoli cook broccoli to desired tenderness. Sauté celery and onion in a bit of butter if desired. If using cooked rice, prepare rice. This can all be done ahead of time.
- Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 2 quart casserole with a lid (or cover with foil).
- Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Bake covered at 350ºF for 45 minutes if using uncooked minute rice, if using cooked rice bake until warm through and cheese is bubbly.
And if by chance you’re on the fancier side, some of our favorite Chicago restaurants are not only open Thanksgiving Day, but offer dine in, carry out and delivery options!
- Mary Doyle, Account Supervisor