ZAP Bites: Crock Pot Chili
One of my favorite meals to make for fall is chili! When I was younger, my mom would have it ready for all the kids when we came back from a long and chilly night of trick-or-treating. I recently found this awesome recipe for crock pot chicken taco chili from Skinny Taste. Not only can you make this version in the crock pot, but it adds a little more flavor and spice to an original family favorite. Check out all the details on how to make it below:
Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili by Skinny Taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
- 4 oz can chopped green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning or homemade (see below)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 24 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To make your own taco seasoning, omit the packet, cumin and chili powder above and use below instead:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomato, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker and mix well.
- Nestle the chicken in to completely cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.
- Top with fresh cilantro and your favorite toppings!
Katie Niemiec, Publicist